Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Macbeth - The Weird Sisters

So I finished reading Macbeth this last weekend and I recognized that the traditional image of three witches standing behind a giant cauldron, saying spells, and putting various bewitched items in it to make some kind of potion, most likely comes from Macbeth! Not counting Lady Macbeth who is bad ass, the Weird Sisters are probably my favorite characters in the play. 

Anyhoo, I remember watching one of the Harry Potter movies awhile ago, and when I read Act 4 Scene 1, something in my memory was triggered. I didn't realize at the time, but one of the songs that appears in the movie uses Shakespeare's words. It's a cool and spooky little song, and I think it's worth posting.


Double, double, toil and trouble.
Fire burn and cauldron bubble.
Double, double, toil and trouble.
Something wicked this way comes!

Eye of newt and toe of frog,
wool of bat and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork and blind-worm's sting,
lizard's leg and owlet's wing.

Double, double, toil and trouble.
Fire burn and cauldron bubble.
Double, double, toil and trouble.
Something wicked this way comes!

In the cauldron boil and bake,
fillet of a fenny snake,
scale of dragon, tooth of wolf,
witches mummy, maw and gulf.


Also, having read all the Harry Potter books, I squeezed my mindgrapes and remembered that there is a wizard band called The Weird Sisters that appears in the books. Cool! I think this is a picture of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment